TAKE Action on the “King Amendment”
Contact your Senators and US Representative and tell them not to allow the “King Amendment” in the Farm Bill. This is not only a food safety issue but also a state’s rights issue and animal welfare issue. Representative Steve King, (Iowa) has a long history of working to stifle animal protection laws, is trying to weaken state animal protection measures through an amendment to the 2013 Farm Bill.
The so-called “King Amendment” (Sec. 11312 of H.R. 2642) has already passed the House and is therefore under consideration as the conference committee seeks to reconcile the House and Senate versions of the Farm Bill. If the amendment is allowed to stand and is adopted into law, it will disrupt advancements that have been made in animal protection throughout the country.
Some of the State laws include those that stop shark finning, horse slaughter, intense animal confinement, and many other cruel practices will be invalidated. The amendment is so broadly worded, in fact, that it could adversely impact not only the development of animal welfare measures, but also food safety, worker protection, and environmental quality standards.
There is a short fuse on this!
Tell your legislators how you feel about this (not everyone who clicks this link will be able to send comments as this link is to those legislators on the 2013 Farm Bill conference committee – so click the link to find out if your legislator is on the committee and send your comments to them): HERE
Read what 14 law professors said about the King Amendment:
Law Professors Voice Concerns Over Farm Bill’s King Amendment
To make comments visit this site:
Law Professors Voice Concerns Over Farm Bill’s King Amendment | Food Safety News.
- Experts blast House bid to nullify state’s humane-farm law (sfgate.com)
- Farm bill takes aim at state animal welfare laws (fresnobee.com)
- Amendment To Farm Bill Could Erode State Sovereignty And End Humane Farming Standards (libertycrier.com)
- Legal Experts Slam Controversial Farm Bill Amendment In Letter To Congress (huffingtonpost.com)
- King Amendment resists change (gogreennation.org)
- Amendment To Farm Bill Could Be End To Humane Farming Standards (huffingtonpost.com)
- What Would Cost $1 Trillion, Unravel GMO Labeling Laws, Ruin Small Farmers, and Affect Sixteen Million Jobs? (anh-usa.org)
- A Royal Pain (hsus.typepad.com)
- King: Time running out for farm bill agreement (siouxcityjournal.com)Steve King: Last Man Standing (Photo credit: DonkeyHotey)
- Stop The King Amendment (ivoter.net)